This is my favorite bagel recipe! Before switching to gluten free and sugar free (for health reasons), bagels were probably my favorite food. I miss the high school days when I could eat a bagel for breakfast and another for lunch -- without even thinking twice about it!
This recipe is adapted from numerous keto, paleo, etc. recipes that I found online. After trying a bunch, I found what works best and is most easiest. I like this recipe because it's adaptable. You can add whatever seasoning you want to make many different bagel flavors!
This recipe is grain free and refined sugar free. These bagels make the perfect breakfast or snack. I highly recommend adding your cream cheese, butter, jam, nut butter, or whatever spread you choose directly on top of the bagel -- rather than cutting it. #GFproblems -- they don’t stick together too well but they sure do taste amazing! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
- ½ cup of coconut flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill Organic)
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 ½ cups of shredded mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 ounces of cream cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter
- Optional: Everything But the Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joe’s; coarse salt; garlic; dried onion flakes; sesame seeds, etc. to top the bagels.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking pan with parchment paper or grease with cooking spray (I use olive oil spray)
- Mix the coconut flour and baking powder in a bowl and set it aside.
- Melt the shredded mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in the microwave on high for one minute. Stir the mixture and microwave again for another minute. Stir until combined.
- Using your hands, mix the beaten eggs and butter into the cream cheese and mozzarella cheese mix.
- Add in the coconut and baking powder mixture until a dough-like texture is formed. It should be a bit wet and sticky. If it’s too dry, try adding in more butter.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll out each piece with your hands connecting the ends to form a bagel shape. It is easier to work with the dough if your hands are wet!
- Optional: Top your bagels with the seasoning of your course.
- For sesame bagels: dip in a bowl of sesame seeds
- For salt bagels: dip in a bowl of coarse salt
- For everything bagels: dip in a bowl of Trader Joe’s seasoning (my favorite)
- For onion bagels: dip in a bowl of dried onion flakes
- Place the 6 bagels on the baking sheet and bake them at 400°F for about 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Top with your favorite spread and enjoy! The bagels will last for about 5 days in a tupperware container in the fridge.